The Emergency Solutions Grants Progam (ESG) provides funding to:
- Engage homeless individuals and families living on the street;
- Improve the number and quality of emergency shelters for homeless individuals and families;
- Help operate these shelters;
- Provide essential services to shelter residents;
- Rapidly re-house homeless individuals and families; and
- Prevent families and individuals from becoming homeless.
ESG funds may be used for these five program components: street outreach, emergency shelter, homelessness prevention, rapid re-housing assistance, Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), as well as up to 7.5% of a recipient’s allocation can be used for administrative activities.